Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Excellent Video on American English

Here's a great old pbs video available for viewing on line through August 1.
American Tongues

Synopsis from the PBS site: Rich in humor and regional color, this sometimes hilarious film uses the prism of language to reveal our attitudes about the way other people speak. From Boston Brahmins to Black Louisiana teenagers, from Texas cowboys to New York professionals, American Tongues elicits funny, perceptive, sometimes shocking, and always telling comments on American English in all its diversity. (60 minutes)

Back when I was in college, probably around 1990, my mom taped the full length program from PBS. I took that very poor quality recording (sorry, Mom!) with me to Poland where I was an English teacher and shared it with my fellow teachers. It was a big hit. If you've got some time, check it out. You're sure to learn something new and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment