Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Burning Roots

After spending many years actively learning Slavic languages, I'm now working on learning Kannada. A bit of Hindi comes along with that. My friend Katya is learning Indian languages as well. She pointed out a connection among words I hadn't noticed before.
agni - Hindi.
огонь - Russian
ogień - Polish
All of these mean fire. Of course we can find a cognate in the English word ignite.

According to the appendix of Indo-European Roots in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, all of these come from the Indo-European root egnis 

For the very curious, check this out:
http://starling.rinet.ru/cgi-bin/etymology.cgi?single=1&basename=/data/ie/pokorny&text_number=+450&root=config

Of course since looking this up, I can't get this song out of my head




1 comment: