Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Study of Ologies

I just submitted a word to Urban Dictionary. Pretty excited since I googled and apparently no one else has used this word yet.

misogynatrix
A dude who hates women because at his core he's a chick. From the Greek roots for hatred and woman, and the Latin suffix -trix which indicates a feminine noun.


Example:
Chick 1: "So why did you break up with him? "
Chick 2: "He didn't understand my feminist point of view. Made harsh statements about women that just went too far."
Chick 1: "Hmm. I didn't get that read on him at all - I actually thought he was a little feminine."
Chick 2: "Exactly. He doesn't like women because he hates that about himself. He's such a misogynatrix."

by Verb Appeal on Sep 13, 2012
tags: bitter, misogyny, woman hater, anti-feminist, misanthrope



I used to have a problem with words composed of mixed roots, such as Latin and Greek to form a single English word. I can still remember when one of my advanced students of English, a college-aged girl, asked me what vitalogy meant. And I wrinkled up my face and said, "Well, vita is the Latin for "life" and -ology is Greek for "study of". Where did you hear that? That's not a word." And that's when she explained it was a new album by Pearl Jam.
doh!

I've since heard more words where roots are mixed. Like "cerology". A cerologist is the technician who uses wax to perform cosmetic depilation. And while we already know the origin and meaning of -ology, cera is apparently the Latin root for "wax". **

These days I think mixing roots makes sense. Who other than language lovers really thinks about whether it's Greek or not?






**according to a nearby waxing studio:  http://www.waxingthecity.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment